If you are considering abortion, as with any serious medical procedure, you deserve to know all the details and make an informed decision that helps protect your health and wellness. Reach out to us today if you have questions regarding abortion and your options.
There are two main types of abortions that may be offered to you:
- Surgical Abortion which is an invasive medical procedure that uses surgical tools to open the uterus and remove the embryo and pregnancy tissue.
- Medical Abortion uses a medication regimen that causes the uterine lining to thin and detaches the embryo. Labor-like contractions are then induced to push out the embryo and pregnancy tissue through the vagina.
The type of abortion procedure may be chosen based on gestational age, pregnancy location, health history, preference, or other medical concerns.
What’s My first step?
First, to take steps to protect your health and safety, it’s important to verify your pregnancy’s viability and location. This can be done through a lab-quality pregnancy test and an ultrasound.
Sometimes home-pregnancy tests can be faulty due to improper use, testing diluted urine, or other factors. An ultrasound is important to understand if the pregnancy is developing as usual and if it is located within the uterus. If an ectopic pregnancy is present (a pregnancy outside the uterus), immediate medical intervention is usually required before it becomes life-threatening.
What Are the risks?
Risks can vary depending on the type of procedure used. The Mayo Clinic states some risks of a medical abortion are:
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
Risks to a surgical abolition can include:
- Perforation of the uterus
- Damage to the cervix
- Scar tissue on the uterine wall
Make An Informed Decision
Please make an appointment with us and we can walk you through important steps that protect your health before an abortion procedure. We also offer free pregnancy testing and options counseling so you can begin planning what’s right for you.